Become a mentor
BECOME A MENTOR
By becoming a mentor, you will be able to help our high school students succeed by preparing them conquer the stress of college and professional life by helping them to achieve the following:
▪ College Readiness Skills ▪ Financial Responsibility
Help students tap into their creative side to raise funds for our annual Scholarship Trip to Burma by helping them engage with the local community that is supporting them towards:
▪ Networking Skills ▪ Internship Preparation
Mentorship is an incredibly rewarding experience and we want to be upfront that this could sometimes be challenging but know that your effort and work is integral to the success of your mentees. We want you to be aware of what we expect from you and what you can expect from us.
• Prospective Mentors must be 18 years of age or older.
• Prospective Mentors must submit a “Mentor Interest Form” and pass a criminal background check.
• Prospective Mentors must be interviewed by at least one staff member from the Future Superstars team prior to acceptance into the program.
What we expect from you
• Make at least a one-year commitment to mentor a youth during their Senior Year of high school.
• Read and understand the “Mentor Know-How Packet” which will give you information on college readiness skills like applying for colleges, applying for student aid, and tips and trick to better your mentorship experience!
• Monthly communications with mentee (electronically, by telephone or most preferred, in-person when possible).
• Attend the Scholarships Awards Reception in August.
And most importantly…
• Be responsive to the needs and concerns of your mentee!
What you can expect from us
It’s laudable to want to look out for your mentee’s interest but please don’t forget that your emotional state is also very important. Which is why we’ll have check-ins every two months between you and one of our staff members to ensure that you’re having a productive and emotionally healthy experience.
Lastly, if at any time you feel overwhelmed or need someone to talk to, don’t feel like you have to wait until the bi-monthly check-ins to check-in. We would love to hear from you whenever!